Riot Games has confirmed that 2XKO, its League of Legends fighting game, is nearing the end of the road. Active development is being wound down, one last content update is scheduled for December 2026, and support will stop after that. Players, though, will still be able to keep playing it on the platforms where it’s currently available.
Riot says the game simply costs far more to keep running than it brings in, and player retention never got to the point needed to justify a long-term future.
That tracks with the warning signs from earlier this year. Reports said Riot cut roughly half of the 2XKO team in February 2026, after the company had already laid off around 530 employees in 2024 and reportedly scrapped another fighting game project, codenamed Pool Party.
Player interest also dropped off fast. Twitch peak viewership reportedly fell from 137,166 in May 2026 to 4,647 in August, while Evo 2026 drew 1,080 entrants, putting 2XKO behind Street Fighter 6 and Tekken 8.
If you’re still playing 2XKO, that final update may be worth checking out, since Riot plans to add Lux and Samira, unlock all characters for everyone, and refund money spent on or before August 20, 2026.
Some of you will see this as Riot not giving the 2v2 format enough time to find its footing. Others will look at 2XKO’s niche appeal, onboarding problems, and fading momentum and say this ending was pretty easy to see coming.
You’ll still be able to play 2XKO on its current platforms after the final update.